Tag Archive: Bodene Thompson


Cartwright issues challenge to Bodene Thompson

John Cartwright has backed Bodene Thompson to become a regular starter in the Titans pack after declaring the position was “his to lose” ahead of tonight’s season opener against premiers St George Illawarra. Thompson will pack down alongside Greg Bird and Ashley Harrison in the backrow tonight and Cartwright was yesterday confident the emerging Kiwi talent would become a key component in their make-up this season. A graduate of the Titans’ Toyota Cup system, Thompson became a key contributor with 17 appearances last season but the coach expects more from the 22-year-old after an impressive off-season and trial form. “(Bodene’s) one of those young fellows who has been in our system since he was 16 or 17,” Cartwright said. “He’s been very fortunate that he has such a good-quality group around to learn from (but) it’s going to take a lot to shift him from the starting spot. “He was pushing all last year and he has an opportunity now and it’s up to him to hold it.” Continue reading

Advertisements

Bodene Thompson tipped for a big year

A young Titan has been anointed by the King. Gold Coast forward Bodene Thompson has been tipped for a huge NRL future by no less a judge than Wally Lewis. The league great believes Thompson, 23, who played for New Zealand Maori at the end of last season, is one to watch and could emerge as a superstar. The product of the famed Keebra Park High league nursery has played only 20 NRL games but Lewis has already marked him as a star of the future. “He’s got some skills and I like that he’s got a bit of s–t in him,” he said. “He doesn’t mind the aggressive style of play and that speaks volumes for the kid’s future. I think he has got enormous potential.” With veteran back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello expected to miss the opening weeks of the season, there is a chance for Thompson to lock down a starting berth. Continue reading

Prince could return, as early as next week

Injured Gold Coast Titans playmaker Scott Prince may only miss one NRL match after receiving encouraging scan results on his hamstring on Tuesday. It was initially feared Prince could miss up to six weeks after he limped off in the first half of last round’s 25-24 NRL victory over the Bulldogs. However, Titans coach John Cartwright was hopeful Prince would make his NRL comeback against the Wests Tigers in a fortnight’s time following their next round bye after scans revealed only a minor right hamstring tear. As expected, Prince was a notable absentee when Cartwright named an extended 18-strong squad for the Gold Coast’s Skilled Park clash with Newcastle on Sunday. But experienced trio Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison were injected into the Gold Coast squad on Tuesday. However, they are also recovering from injury and must still prove their fitness by the end of the week in order to run out against the Knights. Campbell (heel), Bailey (ankle) and Harrison (ribs) all missed last Friday night’s 25-24 win over the Bulldogs. If passed fit, Campbell will slot into the halfback spot for Prince while Harrison and Bailey have been named in the starting forward pack. Cartwright was keeping his fingers crossed despite Campbell and Bailey being unable to train with the main squad so far this week. With utility Luke O’Dwyer (hamstring) also on the injury list, Kayne Lawton has been added to an extended five-man bench alongside young forwards Bodene Thompson and Ryan James.

Titans lose Harrison & Bailey

The Gold Coast Titans have copped an injury double blow ahead of tomorrow night’s clash with the Bulldogs on the Suncorp Stadium double-header. Workhorse prop Luke Bailey and Origin star Ashley Harrison have been ruled out. Bailey hurt his ankle during last week’s win over Manly, while Harrison received stitches this morning for a cut eyelid suffered during last night’s Origin victory. The Titans on Tuesday named an extended 19-man squad, meaning it is likely Bodine Thompson will come in to the starting side in place of Harrison at lock, with Brad Meyers a candidate to replace Bailey in the front row. That would make rookie rising star Ryan James a certainty to keep his bench spot after last week’s polished debut.

Titans look to Mat Rogers for early return

Experienced Titans centre Mat Rogers is poised to make a shock return from a knee injury against Manly at Skilled Park on Friday as the Gold Coast desperately try to end their three-game losing run. Rogers has been missing from the Titans line-up since rupturing his medial ligament against St George Illawarra in round six. Despite fears he was facing 12 weeks on the sidelines, the decorated dual international is set to be rushed back against the Sea Eagles just eight weeks to the day since he suffered the injury. Rogers will not be named when Titans coach John Cartwright unveils his team today, but a club source last night said Rogers was rated a better than 60 per cent chance of bolting into the side later in the week. Continue reading

Visiting the Judiciary – Round 3

Gold Coast backrower Bodene Thompson will accept the three game suspension after pleading guilty to high tackle which left Canberra Hooker Travis Waddell with a broken jaw. Thompson reduced his possible suspension by one match by taking the early plea, the rookie forward to miss crucial games against North Queensland, Melbourne and St George Illawarra.

Waddell was due to undergo surgery today after he was left with fractures to both sides of his jaw when a shoulder charge from Thompson collected him flush on the side of the head.

The only other player charged from the weekend’s matches, Newcastle prop Mark Taufua, won’t miss any games after pleading guilty to a grade one striking charge.

No trip to the judiciary for Bailey

Gold Coast Titans prop Luke Bailey has escaped a tripping charge after he was placed on report after Saturday’s night clash with the Canberra Raiders. Bailey was booked following a 33rd-minute incident in which he appeared to stick his leg out while lying on the ground in an attempt to stop Raiders lock Shaun Fensom. The fact Bailey didn’t bring Fensom to the ground has saved the New South Wales front-rower from a charge by the NRL match review committee. Titans teammate Bodene Thompson could miss four games for his role in a tackle which broke Canberra benchman Travis Waddell’s jaw. Thompson has received a grade five careless tackle charge and will miss three games with an early guilty plea and four if he mounts an unsuccessful defence at the NRL judiciary. Newcastle Knight’s Mark Taufua could miss one game after he was charged with striking in the 50th minute of the loss to Manly on Saturday. He can escape a ban with an early guilty plea.

The Judiciary

Wests Tigers winger Beau Ryan has successfully downgraded his charge relating to a “crusher” tackle during Monday’s 26-22 win over Manly. He was facing a four-week ban after taking the early guilty plea on the charge but successfully had the grading brought down to grade two on Wednesday, meaning he will only miss this weekend’s clash against the Sydney Roosters.

Sea Eagles forward George Rose will also sit out this weekend’s action after taking the early guilty plea for his careless high tackle from the same fiery match.

Manly pair Brent Kite and Kieran Foran as well as Gold Coast’s Bodene Thompson and Warrior James Maloney have all escaped suspension from their charges after taking early guilty pleas.

Three Manly players have been charged with high tackles, but the Wests Tigers’ Beau Ryan could serve a longer suspension than any of them after being booked for a “crusher” tackle in Monday night’s NRL clash. The NRL match review committee has handed winger Ryan a grade three dangerous contact charge for a 65th minute tackle on Sea Eagles opposite Michael Robertson. He will be suspended for three matches if he pleads guilty and four if he unsuccessfully defends the charge at the NRL judiciary. His tackle had been overshadowed by Manly players George Rose, Brent Kite and Kieran Foran all being placed on report for high shots during the 26-22 win at the Sydney Football Stadium. Rose will miss only a week if he pleads guilty and two if he unsuccessfully defends the grade four careless tackle charge. Kite and Foran will escape suspension after receiving grade one careless high tackle charges. Canterbury hooker Michael Ennis will miss Friday night’s clash with St George Illawarra after entering an early guilty plea to a grade two careless high tackle charge.

Warriors five-eighth James Maloney and Gold Coast’s Bodene Thompson have escaped suspension after pleading guilty to grade one charges of dangerous contact with a kicker.

Match Review committee update

Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis is in danger of missing Friday night’s NRL clash with St George Illawarra after being charged with a careless high tackle by the match review committee. Ennis faces a one-match ban whether he takes the early guilty plea or unsuccessfully fights the charge. The grade two charge stems from a sixth minute high shot on Newcastle opposite Matt Hilder in Saturday night’s 20-16 win to the Knights at ANZ Stadium. Two other players – Warriors pivot James Maloney and the Gold Coast’s Bodene Thompson – were charged with making dangerous contact with a kicker. Neither will be suspended if they accept the early guilty plea.