Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen will today come under scrutiny from the NRL match review committee for lashing out with his foot to try and stop a try in Friday night’s 16-14 defeat of the Broncos. Bowen was not put on report, but the 56th minute incident was flagged for review after he twice tried to use his boot to stop Brisbane utility Matt Gillett grounding the ball. Gillett managed to get across the tryline, but was penalised for a double movement in a crucial call by match officials as the Broncos were trailing 16-10 at the time. The incident is one of several that will be studied closely today by the NRL match review panel to determine whether contact was made, including allegations of lifting knees against Manly prop Jason King and Canberra’s Brett White. Warriors halfback James Maloney also faces an anxious wait to learn whether he is charged over an early tackle on Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne while he was fielding a kick during the Eels 24-18 win at Eden Park on Saturday night. Penrith five-eighth Travis Burns was suspended for a similar challenge in a pre-season trial that left Newcastle fullback Shannon McDonnell heavily concussed after having his legs cut from under him as he leapt high to field a kick. Panthers halfback Luke Walsh also faces suspension over a high shot on Knights winger James McManus in yesterday’s 42-8 loss to his former club. Sharks hooker Paul Aiton was sent off in Canberra for headbutting Joel Thompson, while White was placed on report for lifting in his knees in a tackle that resulted in Cronulla halfback Albert Kelly being stretchered from the field with concussion. Cronulla officials were hopeful last night that Kelly would recover in time to play against St George Illawarra next Monday night and said medical staff would continue to monitor him. Meanwhile, new referees boss Bill Harrigan defended the decision to award Dragons fullback Darius Boyd a try and not recall play after his Titans opposite William Zillman collided with referee Phil Haines while trying to field a Jamie Soward bomb on Saturday night. The collision enabled Boyd to collect the ball uncontested and score under the posts, but Harrigan said to rule differently may lead to players deliberately running into referees. ”Because the referee did nothing wrong and couldn’t get out of the way the try was rightly awarded,” Harrigan told ABC radio. ”I think we should look at it at some stage to see if there is any way we can include it in rules to make it better, but whenever we tamper with the rules there is a flow on effect and I would hate to say that every time a player runs into the back of a referee we are going to pull up play to have a look at it. ”Not all of them are going to be in a try-scoring situation … so what do we do then? I would hate to think that some players would take advantage of it … they are about a metre away from the player and know they can’t get to him so they strike into the back of the referee and try to stop the try.”